The Litter Box or Cat Box is a urine or other solid waste collection for cats, dogs, and rabbits. Most of the cats learn from their mother to use the litter box at a very young age. If your cat is not using the Litter Box, then you need to read this article on Cats not using the Litter Box.
If your cat is not using the litter box, then there can be many reasons behind this. Some of the possible reasons behind this can be the position of the litter box, the environment or any undiagnosed medical conditions. For this, you can retrain your cat to start using the litter box like before.
As there can be many possible reasons for your cat of not using the litter box. So, you have to investigate the various possibilities and start working on it. You have to understand what your cat is trying to tell you. In the next section of this article, let’s start discussing the possible reasons and how to get rid of it.
Cats Not Using the Litter Box
The litter box is very helpful for a pet to use for urine and solid waste collection. You can train your cat to use the litter box for such purposes so that they don’t have to roam around the home. A litter box will act as a shelter for your pet that will prevent the risk of traffic, weather, or wildlife.
If your pet is not using the litter box, then keep in mind that your pet is not purposefully doing this. So, you don’t have to punish or annoy your cat for this. There can be a medical reason or it may happen that your cat doesn’t like the place where the box is located.
- Health checkup of your cat
- The first and foremost step you can do this is to check the medical condition of your cat. Take your cat to any veterinary doctor for the health checkup of the cat. There are some symptoms of your cat that you need to closely look after.
- Use a large litter box
- It is recommended that you use a large size litter box for your cat. This is because if you use a small litter box, then the cat will think it fills more quickly. And for the larger ones, the cat will get more room while using the litter box.
- Also, if your cat is elderly or small, then use the litter box with low sides. This will help your cat to easily enter and leave the litter box without any difficulty.
- Location of the litter box
- This is again one of the most important reasons that your cat is not using the litter box. If your cat is used to one location, then don’t change that location of the litter box. Locate the box at a quiet place and keep it away from the cat’s food.
- Allow your cat some privacy and place the litter box in such areas only. Avoid locating the litter box in the noisy area like a laundry room. So, use the place which can be easily accessible for the cat.
- Now that your cat has started using the litter box, so you have to regularly clean this box. Some of the cats use the litter box after cleaning only. So, it’s important to scoop the litter box at a regular interval of time. [source]
The above are some of the possible reason that your cat is avoiding the use of litter box. You have to teach your cat to start using the litter box and for that, you have to track the schedule of the cat. This way you can easily diagnose the problem and make your cat start using the litter box.
Well with this we would like to conclude this article about Cats not using the Litter Box. Hope that your cat has now started using the litter box, if not then let us know in the comment section. Share your thoughts & feedback and let us know at AS3Commons. Thank you.